The Best Dog Bike Baskets (Reviews) in 2020
- The Best Dog Bike Basket
- 1. PetSafe Bicycle Basket for Dogs
- 2. ANZOME Dog Bike Basket
- 3. Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket
- 4. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Original Dog Bike Basket
- 5. Jack and Dixie Traveler Dog Bike Baskets
- 6. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
- 7. Walky Dog Bike Basket
- 8. Beach & Dog Co Bicycle Basket
- 9. BARKBAY Pet Carrier Bicycle Basket
We love to take our pooches wherever we go, whether that’s out in the car, around town, to the park or when we go away on vacation. And if you are an avid cyclist, you can also take your smaller doggo onboard, thanks to the wide range of dog bike baskets currently on the market. Specifically designed to carry your dog while you pedal along, you both get to enjoy that feeling of the wind in your hair – or ears – together. So, if you fancy taking your furry friend with you on your next bike ride, here’s the lowdown on some of the best dog bike carriers you can buy.
The Best Dog Bike Basket
Weather-resistant wicker basket
Removable, washable fleece liner
Safety tether and handlebar bracket
Supports pets up to 13 pounds
With its classic wicker design, this pet bike basket is also one of the most durable, making it perfect for smaller dogs. The basket is resin-coated for weather resistance, while the wicker construction supports inner airflow. There’s also a removable sunshade and a machine washable fleece liner to keep him snug. The whole basket attaches to your bike’s handlebars and there’s an inner safety tether to fix to your pet’s leash or harness. We particularly like the easy fix bracket system for one-handed fit or release the basket, Smart and with a retro-vibe, this is an excellent front bike basket for dog for when they want to join you on a biking adventure.
Folding carrier for bike handlebars
Lightweight and durable fabric
Reflective strip for visibility
For pooches up to 11 pounds
This great-priced pet carrier is a good choice for short or more casual journeys and boasts a folding design for total convenience. Made from lightweight yet durable Oxford fabric it’s also waterproof and easy to clean. Fitting onto your bicycle’s handlebar via a quick-release mount, this basket can also be packed into your car ready for your next bike ride. The carrier also has a sturdy metal frame which supports your pet while retaining the basket shape and is a comfortable ride for the smaller pet or pup up to 11 pounds. The one downside is that there’s no inner leash attachment so you will need to find another method of securing your pet.
Foldable carrier made from microfiber
Inner pad and comfortable chin rest
Inner leash clip plus rain cover
For pooches up to 14 pounds
This carry bag/bicycle dog basket hybrid looks great and with its removable inner pad and cool chin rest, promises a comfy ride for your pooch. It isn’t perhaps the most durable in our best dog basket for bike review but for short or gentler journeys it’s more than up than up to the job. And this Snoozer pet rider packs super-flat for easy storage. Made from wipe-clean microfiber, it buckles onto your handlebars with a decent safety strap, with a bottom support bar to keep things sturdy. And you get plenty of pockets, an inner leash clip as well as a removable rain cover and water bottle holder to add to its all-round convenience.
Fabric outer with steel frame
Mount designed to reduce sway
Padded floor with Sherpa lining
Also available in max size for larger dogs
This may be at the top of our review budget, but the Travelin K9 dog basket is well made and with its lightweight fabric and reflective details, looks the part. Ideal for small dogs of around 8 pounds or less, it will also work as a puppy bike basket and thanks to the inner safety leash, they can be kept safe and secure as you pedal. As a front bicycle dog basket, the handlebar mount clamps are impressive and easy to install, reducing basket sway as you ride out. Add in a padded floor, deep side walls, a front mesh air vent as well as plenty of pocket storage, including a water bottle holder and you have a dog bike carrier that loves the outdoors as much as you and your dog does.
2-in-1 bike basket and shoulder carrier
Sturdy inner frame holds up to 15 pounds
Adjustable safety leash and shoulder strap
Mesh zip pockets for essentials
From sidewalk to cycle path, this 2-in-1 pet bike basket is a versatile addition to your dog’s out-and-about routine. A sturdy pet bike carrier which doubles up as a shoulder bag, it’s also ideal for travel with your pet. It’s made from quality fabric with an inner frame to support a dog up to 15 pounds in bike-riding comfort. Plus, you get a couple of supersized mesh side pockets for essentials as well as a handy water bottle holder. Inside there’s the essential safety leash to keep your dog secure and the whole carrier fits smoothly on the bicycle’s handlebars, thanks to the easy to fit safety strap. A best buy if you are looking for a flexible carrier to suit your pooch’s active lifestyle!
Designed for pet up to 12 pounds
Oxford fabric with frame and solid bottom
Double-sided padded inner and safety leash
Zipped mesh cover for extra security
For tiny dogs or pups, the Petsfit Safety Dog Basket carrier has been designed for smaller pets and suits most styles of bicycles. This attractive soft dog carrier is made from durable Oxford fabric and has a solid bottom for a comfortable platform for your pet. Mesh panels allow air to circulate freely as you ride, and reflective strips make sure you and your dog are easily seen. We also like the double-sided inner mat, with a fleece side for winter and cooler nylon for the warmer months. The whole dog bicycle basket fits to your bike’s handlebars via the built-in safety straps, making it quick and easy to install. And as well as a safety leash, you also get an elastic mesh top for extra security, enabling you to zip your dog in.
Easy click quick release buckles
Soft carrier made from durable fabric
Safety leash and zippered mesh cover
If easy installation is at the top of your dog carrier ‘must-have’ list, then check out this bike basket from Walky Dog. It’s a soft basket made from durable fabric that comes with quick release buckles for easy fixing and removal. Mount onto your bike’s handlebars and the basket is deep enough for your dog to happily sit up and watch the world go by. You get in inner safety leash, plus a zippered mesh cover for keeping your dog secure and there’s enough pockets to store all those doggy essentials. This dog basket is no fuss when it comes to looks but as an everyday tough bike carrier for dogs it is a good value investment.
Handwoven willow around a metal frame
Sun, water and sea salt resistant
Comes complete with metal mounting brace
Ideal for pets up to 20 pounds
Another willow basket classic, this bike carrier is handwoven from natural willow around a metal frame for extra durability. Coated with a clear resin, the result is a rather cute dog basket that is water and sun resistant. The carrier comes complete with a metal brace which transfers the weight so you can securely fit the basket to your bike’s handlebars for a safe and stable ride. Inside there’s two adjustable leashes to secure your dog – or dogs – up to a total weight of 20 pounds. It is a spacious basket too and when not being used to transport your pooch, it could double up as a handy shopper for your groceries.
Multi-use dog bike basket
Converts to a backpack or booster seat
Inner leash, mesh vents and side storage pockets
For pets up to 18 pounds
If your pooch really likes their creature comforts, then this pet bike basket will ensure they are sitting well and happy. With a padded sheepskin liner for a lux ride, this street-savvy carrier will soon become their bicycle home from home. Designed for small dogs, the soft fabric is durable and fits securely to the front of your bike to give your pet the best view. There’s space to sit up comfortably and the inner tether secures him in place, with an added option of a drawstring mesh cover to prevent your dog trying to jump out. Mesh venting will keep your doggo cool and a shoulder strap means the basket can easily convert into a pet carrier, backpack or booster seat at the end of your cycling journey.
Best Dog Bike Baskets Buying Guide & FAQ
Things to Consider When Buying Dog Bike Baskets
There are some essentials to take into account when looking for a new dog bike basket:
- Suitability: Knowing where and how often you will be using your new bicycle dog carrier will mean you will choose the most suitable one. If you are going to be using the basket daily, then look for a durable, all-weather proof model whereas if it’s for occasional use in the park, then a less expensive basket would work well. But whatever the budget, ensure all the necessary safety and attachment systems are tough enough to do their job.
- Positioning: Decide where you want the basket to be fixed so you get the right style. Some pet baskets for bikes are designed to sit behind your seat and fix onto the back rack, while others fit onto your bike’s handlebars. Also, consider which position is best for your dog’s temperament and size. As a general guide, a handlebar carrier is only suited to smaller dogs, and any pooch over 12 pounds (up to the product's maximum weight) will be more stable in a rear-mounted basket.
- Size and weight: The size and weight of your dog also counts as most dog baskets come with a maximum capacity restriction due to safety. And always ensure the pet basket is a sufficient size to comfortably and securely hold your dog and that they can sit and lie down if they need to.
- Comfort: Look for extra creature comforts such as cushions, removable liners, and padded edges. A rain cover, as well as an attachable sunshade, are also good ideas.
- How it is secured: The basket’s attachment system is the most important part of any dog bike carrier. The fixing method should be easy to use and secure enough to safely carry your dog as you pedal without shifting or working loose.
- Inner security: You also want to ensure your dog is held in place when in their bike basket, for their sake as well as your own as you don’t want a dog escaping mid-ride. Look for effective security systems, including a leash attachment or a built-in harness. A dome or mesh top which can zip over the top of the basket are best if your dog is prone to trying to jump out, even if they are secured by a leash.
- Durability: Look for a dog bike basket that is made from tough and durable material that can also cope with changes in the weather. Wicker and Oxford fabric are both good materials to look for.
- Extra features: A few extras can also help make your bike journey with your pet an enjoyable one. Look for features such as side pockets for pet-related essentials such as wipes, treats and toys as well as air vents, breathable mesh panels and high visibility reflective tape.
Why You Should Use Dog Baskets for Bikes
If you're planning on taking your pet out with you on your bike, then a bicycle dog carrier is a must. A dog basket ensures their safety and yours and will keep them secure as you ride. For the smaller pet who may struggle to keep up with you on your bike if running along, a basket enables them to come out with you and enjoy the fun. They can also be used to take your pet to essential appointments if you have no alternative form of pet-friendly transport. A bike basket for dogs is also a handy addition come walkies time if you have an older or less mobile pooch.
Different Types of Dog Bicycle Baskets
There are two main types of bicycle basket for dogs:
Hard basket: These are rigid bike baskets made from wicker, plastic or durable polypropylene. Strong and sturdy, they are easy to use and keep clean.
Soft basket: Similar to a soft carrier or gym bag, soft dog baskets for bikes are usually made from flexible fabric, with a rigid bottom to hold its basket shape.
The type of basket you choose will depend on the weight and size of your pet and the type of bicycle you have. Both types can come with options of front or back fitting, depending on your bike and riding preferences.
Safety Tips When Using Pet Baskets for Bike
Here are our top safety tips for using a pet bike basket:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to fixing the pet bike basket for your bicycle. Routinely check all the straps, fitting and fixings are in full working order.
- Never take your pooch out on your bicycle unless they are safely secured inside their dog bike basket. Use the inner safety leash attachment or fit the safety harness if supplied. Also, ensure their tail, fur and feet are firmly inside the bike carrier and not at risk of being entangled in any of the bike’s moving parts.
- If you are taking your dog out on your bike in rain or bad weather, cover with a rain hood. A sunshade is also essential during the summer to prevent your pet from getting sunburnt or succumbing to heatstroke.
- And finally…make sure your dog is sufficiently hydrated by carrying a bottle of water and collapsible bowl with you so you can keep their hydration levels topped up, especially in warm weather.
Related Post: Dog Water Bottles
Our Top Pick
A combination of classic wicker styling, easy and secure fixing and superior pet comfort, the PetSafe Happy Ride Wicker Bicycle Basket scoops our top pick. Weather-resistant, and with a design that allows for ample ventilation to keep your pet cool, comfortable and dry, it is also super-easy to fit your handlebars, thanks to the ingenious one hand fix and release design. A smart basket that will get you and your pooch noticed for all the right reasons.
Q: Is it safe to bike with my dog?
If you exercise caution when taking your dog out in a bike carrier, follow the rules of the road, ensure the basket fits well and that your dog is secured by a safety leash and happy and not stressed by the experience, it should be perfectly safe to bike with your pooch. You also need to judge each planned ride on its own merits and adjust or abort the ride if need be, especially if your dog is becoming skittish or scared.
Q: How do I train my dog to ride in the basket?
Never force a scared or unsure dog into a bike carrier and take them on a long ride as you could be asking for trouble. Even if your pooch is a chilled-out dude, you should always ease them into their bike basket and never rush them, otherwise, you could put them off bicycle travel for life.
Pick a basket that fits your dog and make sure it's one they will feel comfortable in, whether standing up or sitting down. Add some cushions or a blanket if there’s no inner padding.
Start off by introducing them to the basket away from your bike. Pop it on the floor and put them inside so they can sniff and explore. Now move the basket to your stationary bike, put them in it and clip them to the safety leash attachment, giving them positive praise and perhaps a treat to reassure.
At this stage, start to push the bike around your garden or drive with you walking alongside and your dog inside the basket, so they get used to the movement. You could even add in a few little bumps (a rough patch in the tarmac or lump on the lawn).
Once they are comfortable in the basket as it moves with the bike, get on board and cycle slowly along a flat, quiet path, reassuring all the time.
You are almost there – you can now start building up the distance you ride each time, as well as the speed and terrain until your pooch is a happy bike carrier rider.
Q: Which types of dogs do best in a dog bike basket?
Dog baskets are really only suited to smaller dogs, typically less than 20 pounds due to the need for you to feel balanced and able to ride safely. For larger pooches, you could consider getting a dog bike trailer so that they don’t miss out on the fun. But whatever size of dog or type of bike carrier, bicycle basket or trailer you opt for, the temperament and personality of your dog is key. Calm and positive dogs will love the experience, whereas the more lively, strong-willed or anxious pooch can make the experience much less enjoyable, for both you and your pet.
Q: Will these baskets fit on any bicycle?
A bike carrier for dogs will work on most types of bicycles although hybrid, mountain or utility bikes are better suited, especially for front carriers as they have more space at the front between the tire and the handlebars. However, pretty much all bikes can be adapted at the back with an added bicycle rack, which are perfect for a rear fixed dog basket.