- The Best Pet Heating Pads
- 1. RIOGOO Pet Heating Pad
- 2. K&H PET PRODUCTS Original Lectro-Kennel Outdoor Heated Pad
- 3. furrybaby Updated Pet Heating Pad
- 4. Lesotc Pet Heating Pad for Pets
- 5. Pecute Pet Heating Pad
- 6. K&H PET PRODUCTS Heated Thermo-Kitty Mat Reversible Cat Bed
- 7. Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad
- 8. MARUNDA Pet Heating Pad
- 9. Zobire Pet Heating Pad
- 10. AILEEPET Pet Heating Pad
Who doesn't enjoy a nice cosy bed to climb into at the end of the day? Well, the same goes for our furry friends. A heated pad for pets have proven over the years to be great for incubating puppies and kittens, and for soothing aching joints and muscles with older or more active pets. They are comforting, and comfortable and have been used for our furry family for years. Here we will be exploring what we consider to be the 10 best animal heated pads available on the market today and some of the most frequently asked questions that will hopefully answer any queries you may have.
The Best Pet Heating Pads
Suitable for both Cats & Dogs.
Removable polyester cover – can be cleaned easily by hand.
1-12 hour timer, once set will switch off automatically of left switched on.
Chew-proof cord and 7 layer protection structure to prevent burns.
Keep your dog or cat cosy with this simple but effective electric powered warming pad. Made to be resistant to the chewing of any pooch or kitty, with a bite resistant cord wrap to save them from any nasty accidents. If you’re not happy with this product in the first 12 months, get in touch and they can send a replacement to you with their 12 month guarantee.
For outdoor use and includes free machine washable fleece cover.
Only 80 watts with 5.5 foot steel wrapped cord.
Can be easily wiped clean if it gets dirty.
Available in 3 sizes.
The outdoor K&H heater pad is ideal for those cooler days when your pup or kitty may just want to join you for a sit in the garden. The wipeable surface makes for easy maintenance with the option of a fleece cover for those indoor snuggle times. And if you’re not sure if it will fit your pet, don’t worry, they offer it in 3 sizes so that you can select just the right fit for your pet.
3 level automatic shut off timer of 3, 6, and 12 hours.
Waterproof PVC material inner layer to protect electronic.
Ideal for dogs and cats of all ages.
Fireproof cotton for added security and heat resistance.
Ideal to keep your pet’s body temperature just right, this brilliant pad offers a 3 level automatic shut-off timer with 7 level temperature control, so that you can find the perfect fit for your dog or cat, or any other pet for that matter! The fireproof cotton lining provides an extra bit of security, so that you can be sure your pet is safe.
Two thermostats for perfect temperature controlled electric heating pad.
Removable, machine washable cover.
Flame retardant materials and waterproof PVC envelope for added safety.
Cord chasing that is chew resistent.
Whether its a cat heating pad or a dog heating pad you’re looking for, you’ll find that any pet pad will do the job just right. The Lesotc Pet Heating Pad is great for smaller breeds that may struggle with arthritic joints, painful muscles or even for new mums with little kittens or puppies to look after. It provides a constant warm place to keep them comfortable.
Contains 2 built-in 55°C/131℉ overheating protectors for added fire safety.
Can be plugged in for 24 hours of continuous use throughout the winter period.
Chew proof stainless steel flexible cable casing and ABS plastic fixed line clamp.
Comes with a choice of two washable flannel covers.
As a customer you want to know that what you’re purchasing will do the job its required for well. Every dog pad or cat pad has its own nuances that make it right for your pet. The Pecute pad has duel overheating sensors so that you can know your pet will not get too hot too fast, and can be plugged in for 24 hours without any risk. It also comes with the added perk of 2 covers, so that if you’d got one in the wash, your pet still has a place to relax.
Cat heating pads, suitable for cats and small breed dogs.
Has an extremely soft removable and washable cover.
Certified by MET Labs to exceed USA/CA electrical safety standards.
Can be used as a bed due to comfortable flame retardant foam topper.
Though this may be a cat heating pad, it also works brilliantly for smaller breed dogs. The flame retardant foam topper will make this an extremely comfortable small dog pad just the same, and would also make a brilliant crate pad for your cat or dog to help them feel more at home, especially during that difficult training period.
Up to 10 hours of soothing and safe warmth.
Uses a non-toxic thermapol compound for heating.
Non-electrical means no risk of electrocution or electrical fault.
Ideal for elderly, convalescing and newborn pets.
Microwave heating pads offer an easy, electricity-free alternative to the former options, helping to regular your pet’s body temperature for up to 10 hours, it is perfect for senior pets, newborns and those that may struggle with their joints. However always take care not to overheat it before use, and it is best used underneath something like a throw blanket.
Built-in dual thermostat reacts to pet and air temperature, providing the perfect constant temperature automatically.
IP67 waterproof PVC material, washable, and easily removable cover.
Duel resistant steel cord protection and dog and cat chewing.
Offered in multiple sizes.
Perfect for either a dog or a cat, this cosy nap time accessory has build in thermostatic control to ensure your pet doesn’t overheat, and a washable and removable cover for easy cleaning. The duel resistant steel cord cover will save the wire from even the toothiest of pets, and it comes in 2 sizes so that you can find the right size for your furry loved one.
It’s suitable for senior, arthritic, newborn, and pregnant pets, best suited to large dog breeds.
Chew resistant cable for added electricity safety for your dog.
Covered with waterproof, washable, and removable cover made of fleece.
Generates 97-109.4℉ comforting heat with dual thermostats.
Made to help pets of all kind, whether they have just given birth, are old and struggling to get comfortable or ailed by joint troubles, by giving your dog or cat a cosy place to sleep, you can at least know that you have done your best to make them comfortable at a time when they need to relax.
Waterproof, dust free, flexible, easy to clean and anti-electric shock cover.
Timer for 1-12 hours with an auto power off function.
12 month satisfaction guarantee, with a free replacement if you’re unhappy.
Available in 3 sizes.
With a safety time that can be pre-set to 1-12 hours, you can leave the house without the worry of whether the dog pad or cat pad is still switched on. The 12 month guarantee is unlikely to be needed for this heating pad, with its flexible elements and anti-shock cover. Your pet is as safe as they’ll ever be.
Pet Heating Pad Buying Guide & FAQ
How to Choose a Pet Heating Pad
One of the main features to look for in a pet heating pad is that they are low voltage, so that it doesn't draw too much power. It is also very important that you are careful to look for pet heating pads in particular. Human heating pads are more likely to become too hot for a cat and dog's sensitive skin, or they can heat up too much too quickly and become uncomfortable for them, you must remember that humans don't have fur and are far more sensitive to the cold, therefore needing the extra warmth, whereas our fur covered family are quite the opposite.
You will also want to be sure that your pet isn't going to chew through any wires if you were to choose a mains powered heating blanket, especially with teething puppies or kittens with sharp little teeth.
There are several types of beds to choose from; electrical mains powered, self-heating pad, reflective, battery operated. It is best to do your research into each type of pad and figure out which would suit your pets best.
And lastly, always remember that dogs and cats don't have the same temperature control as us humans, and they are therefore far more susceptible to overheating than we are. So do not measure an animal heated pad against a human one, as where we may think that the pad feels only vaguely warm, for them it can be nice and toasty.
Why You Should Use Pet Heating Pads
There are several good reasons for using heating pads for cats and dogs:
- Senior care: If your pet is in the later stages of life, they may be struggling to hold in their body heat, you may notice that they spend a lot more time in their pet beds or on your lap than laying on the sofa or the floor. With pet heating pads you can provide them with a cozy place to lay where they can warm themselves up if they need to.
- Breeding: When it comes to tiny little newborn puppies or kittens, they are unable to regulate their own temperature, hence why they spend all of their time snuggled up in their mother's belly fur. So by providing them with heating pads, you can help to incubate them if mum fancies stretching her legs.
- Joint and muscular care: Think about when your back or knee is hurting, the one thing you find yourself wanting a wheat bag or hot water bottle, correct? Well its very much the same with your achy pooch or kitty. Again, this is often with senior pets, though ailments such as hip dysplasia can happen at a young age with various breeds. A little bit of heat therapy could be just what they need to soothe their aching joints and muscles.
- Comfort: Sometimes you don't need a reason to want to feel warm. Much like humans, some cats and dogs just appreciate a bit of warmth every now and then. Have you ever known a dog or cat that will sit with their nose inches from the fire, when you can't imagine they could possibly need to be that close? They just like it, nothing more to it!
- For cats and dogs with less fur: Some smaller size breeds can struggle to maintain their temperature, especially if they are short-haired (or completely hairless in the case of a sphynx cat!). Or perhaps your pet struggles with a skin condition that affects their hair growth or causes their hair to fall out? Since their fur is a key part of their heat regulation, if it's missing they may need an alternative way to keep warm. Heating pads provide that alternative.
- Security: Similarly to how a body wrap can provide a sense of safety and relief when a pet is feeling stressed, heating pads can create also create a sense of safety and familiarity for pets that may struggle with this type of anxiety.
Check out our guide on comfort dog beds.
Our Top Pick
So when looking for a great heating pad, we know it can be a struggle, so from this brilliant range of warming pads to choose from, we have narrowed it down to the Lectro Soft Outdoor Heated Pad, the K&H brand is known to produce fantastic pet products and this pad is no different. With the fact that is can be used to keep your pet warm outdoors, has a wipe able cover option, to save having to wash the fleece cover repeatedly, and is available in 3 sizes, it really is worth it.
Pet Heating Pad Buying FAQ:
Q: What is a pet heating pad and how does it work?
Heating pads for dogs and cats are a mat that is heated be it via electrical input, thermal technology, battery power or the microwave, and provide your pet with a warm place to rest. Depending on the mat, there are several way that they work:
- Mains - supplied electrical - Electric heating pads are supplies with power via the mains plug and are made to warm up quicker or be pre-warmed ready for when your pet goes for a lie down. They are low voltage and are often thermostatically controlled in order to remain the perfect temperature at all times.
- Thermal - A thermal pet heat pad uses thermal technology, much like a fleece jumper, to insulate the pad and reflect back the natural body temperature that your pet produces, creating a nice warm spot for them to lie, and because it doesn't contain rigid the heating element it can be ideal to go into pet beds, or can be for outdoor use as an alternative to electricity powered pads.
- Battery powered - Much like the mains powered pad, a battery operated one will provide a pre-warmed spot for your pet to hunker down into. Though the batteries will need to be checked on a regular basis to ensure that it is still functioning.
- Microwavable - Microwavable pet pads use the same method as a warming wheat bag in which they are filled with a conductive material that will hold on heat for a long while after coming out of the microwave.
However, something to consider with this type of pad is that it can overheat very easily, will need pre-heating before your dog or cat lays down and will need occasionally rewarming once it cools down.
Q: Are heating pads safe for my dog/cat?
A heating pad can be perfectly safe for your pet so long as you take the necessary precautions when purchasing one. There are certain safely elements that must be considered when it comes to making your buying choice.
- Overheating - This is not necessarily in reference to the blankets themselves overheating and becoming dangerous, though this can happen with older electric heating pads and should be watching out for, but more in reference the danger of your dog or cat overheating whilst using it. Some pads become warmer than others, and it is important that you know the kind of temperature that is right for your pet. And in the case of a microwavable warming pad, it is worth monitoring them carefully and starting cooler to be safe. If you feel your cat or dog would like a little bit more warmth, then increase the temperature in small increments.
- Chewing - with electric based heated mats for cats and dogs, you must always take into account the power cord. Though most warming pad manufacturers do take this into account by producing them with a chew-resistant cord, this if often done with something like a steel wrapped cord. However this is something you need to take stock of when choosing the pad for you, because if you pet is going through that teething or destructive phase, they run a very real risk of being electrocuted if they make it through the chew proof shielding.
If your pet is an avid chewer, but you have chosen to select an electric heat pad, a recommended course of action would be to use a chew deterrent spray to prevent them from being tempted. Alternatively you could cover the cord using PVC pipe, or cut up water hose, just to provide an additional robust layer of protection.
Q: How do I choose the correct pad size?
When it comes to picking the right heat mat for dogs or cats to go into your home, it can be a bit tricky to know what size to get. The things to consider are the type of pad you intend to purchase, this would help you decide on the size. With a microwave pad for example, you may want it to go in or under your dog or cat's bed, in which case you could afford to go a little bit smaller. If the pad you decide on is thicker, you could use it as a sleeping area of its own, in which case you would pick the pad which matches the size of bed your dog would require.
Typically, a dog pad or cat pad around the same size as their bed would be a good size for most pets, unless they are particularly fussy about their temperature control and require only a small pad to warm a portion of their bed, but not the entire thing.
Q: Do self-heating pet pads work?
Self warming pads have proven time and time again to be a worthwhile investment for anyone who does not wish to buy an electrically powered one. They are also fantastic for a cat or dog that travel a lot, as it saves you having to worry about finding an electricity supply everywhere you go. They use thermal technology to reflect your pet's body heat back to them, so that they maintain their body temperature for much longer, or even indefinitely.
Q: How do I clean heated pads for pets?
There are a couple of ways to clean cat or dog heating pads depending on the pet pad you have chosen. Each heated dog or cat pet pad you find will have its own cleaning instructions, but here are a couple of general tips that should help you to plan your purchase better.
An electric heating pad for dogs and cats will often come with a removable and machine washable cover, this could be a fleece cover or nylon cover in order to be slightly more spill resistant. These covers can usually be put into the washing machine, though it must be stressed that they need to be washing on a cool temperature and air dried in order to avoid the cover shrinking and being unable to fit back onto the pad. The best cat or dog heating pad will come with something like this for ease of cleaning.
If you are worried about washing the entire cover, you can spot clean them using a mixture of milk detergent and water, applied and scrubbed using a toothbrush, or something along a similar line.
With a self warming dog or cat heating pad, they are usually machine washable, so long as it is done on a low temperature, again to avoid shrinkage, as they don't have any electrical components to worry about. The same goes for a microwavable heating pad, though this would take much longer to dry due to the denseness of the materials, so it may be easier to spot clean whenever possible to save on drying time.