Your fluffy baby is turning another year older and it’s time to celebrate! What better way to kick-off the celebrations with these nine, must-have birthday party ideas. If you follow these tips, you’ll be sure to throw your pup the best birthday party ever! Hurray! That means doggy birthday cake, treats, doggy party games, paw-fect birthday gifts, and a special doggy guest list. Don’t know where to start? Just keep reading! We’ve done all the work for you. Here are our nine best Instagram-worthy birthday ideas to give your pup the paw-ty of the year!
First and Foremost – the Gifts
You can’t throw a puppy party without presents. When it comes to finding the right bark-day gift for your four-legged family member, it can feel like finding a bone in a stack of blankets. But don’t worry – we’ve compiled a list of birthday treats that will get your pooch’s tail wagging.
- A Personalized Bandana: By getting something like a personalized bandana, you can specify their birthdate, and even your pupper’s name! It will become a lovely memory from the day, a great addition to their birthday outfit, and an extremely cute Instagram picture.
- A Gift Hamper: Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones, like a gift hamper. Your pup may well be the kind to just love a basket full of treats, a couple of new dog toys, and perhaps a new dog leash or collar.
- A New Blanket or Heated Pad: If your dog is starting to get a little bit older, a great idea would be something like a heated blanket to keep them toasty and warm.
- A Birthday Card: Not all people are birthday card people, but with pet birthday parties, cards are always on display. So why not take a look at a personalized birthday card just for your pooch?
- A New Food Bowl: Another fantastic way to commemorate the day is to get your pup a new food bowl. Their birthday is a great excuse to update the old bowl for a lovely new one.
Location, Location, Location
Location is just as important as anything else when it comes to your pupper’s birthday soiree. You’ll want to find the best place for you, the birthday boy or girl, and all their furry guests. Finding the right dog-friendly location for their birthday party is vital to it running smoothly.
- The Dog Park: What better place than the dog park? It’s already a large, open space where your birthday babe can run around to their heart’s content. It’s also a great way to meet other dog owners that share in your pet love.
- Secure Field Hire: If you are worried about others hijacking a public party, you can rent secure fields to give your dog room to roam around. This way, you won’t have to worry about strangers wandering in on your shaggy shindig!
- A Dog Beach: Much like the park, the dog beach would be a public event. But this time, with water, sand, and a whole lot of sunny space! The dog beach makes for a fantastic day out with your dog and yourself, so make the most of it!
Check out our guide on Sunscreen for Dogs for more info.
- Your Home: If you think you’ve got the space, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the party at your home. It’s a familiar setting, and if you’ve got a swimming pool, then a pool party on a hot day would be perfect!
- A Rented Dog-Friendly Hall: There are simple venues that are willing to hire out space for a dog-friendly birthday party, as long as all owners supervise their pets. These venues can work if your home just isn’t big enough and the weather doesn’t really permit an outdoor party.
Dog party invitations don’t need to be elaborate, but they can also be a fun little memento from their special day! When it comes to planning a birthday for dogs, you can go as big or as small as you want. So whether you decide to invite your canine guests using dog treats, cards, or skywriting, make your dog birthday invitations all about the celebration. Get people hyped to come!
Goodie-bags for the Canine Guests
No guest should leave a party empty-handed. So why not provide them with party favors to remember the birthday bash? Here are some ideas of the perfect goodie-bags for your canine guests – and some for the human ones, too!
One for the Humans
- Human cake: A tasty cupcake for your human guest to go home with will always be appreciated.
- Photos: If you hired a photo booth, be sure to put their pictures in the bag.
- Keyring: A dog-themed keyring to commemorate the day would make a lovely little favor.
- Candy: No party is complete without candy, and you can’t go wrong with a few, sweet nibbles.
One for the Pups
- Doggy Treats: A dog treat and dog-friendly biscuit will be thoroughly appreciated by the pooch guest!
- A Slice of Dog Birthday Cake: A great way to extend the party is by sending them home with a slice of pup-friendly cake.
- Tennis Balls: A perfect, simple toy that will give them a little bit of extra entertainment once they’re at home.
Nothing will set the atmosphere for your dog’s birthday party like party decorations. You could go as wild or as minimal as you like. Set the mood just how you want it! Pursuing themes can even help you solidify the main image you want to set for your pup’s party.
Puppy Birthday Cake
What kind of dog parents would you be if you didn’t make a dog-friendly cake for their birthday party? Dog cake recipes are far simpler than human cake ones – and far more difficult to get wrong. Ranging from simple to perhaps a bit on the extravagant side, you can take your pick at the cake you want for your pup. You don’t even have to make it yourself! There are doggy cafes out there that will make one for you. Either way, cake is a delicious detail to please the birthday dog, especially when topped with peanut butter and a bit of doggy ice cream.
Puppy Party Games & Activities
Hosting a birthday party with a large group of dogs might seem a little daunting, but you’d be surprised how easily they can be entertained! When looking for birthday party ideas, you want to make sure you can find some easy games to keep the dogs occupied (if they aren’t already too preoccupied with each other). Dog parties can get a little loud, so be ready for the noise!
- A Ball Pit: We all know dogs love to play with balls. So how about an entire pit full of them? If it’s a hot day and an outdoor party, then add a bit of water at the bottom to help keep the pups cool. The dogs will be bobbing for those balls in no time!
- Fetch: The old classic game of fetch. If you provide a bunch of balls to throw, fetch will be available for all to play.
- Catch the Treat: Simple but effective, and a great way to make use of the treats you stocked up on just for the occasion.
- Obstacle Course: If you’ve got the space, use what you can to set up an obstacle course and see which dog can run through it the fastest.
- Musical Chairs: A fun canine twist on the human classic. Have the human guests walk their dogs around on a leash. When the music stops, the owners call out “sit!” and wait to see which dog sits last. The last one with their tush to the ground is out!
You may also like our articles on Dog Balls and Dog Ball Launchers.
There may be cake, but dog snacks are always an excellent addition to your dog’s birthday bash! (Along with human snacks too, of course. We don’t want our puppy parents getting hangry!) A selection of doggy treats can be extremely handy if owners need to calm down their pups.
Other Bits and Pieces
Extra little bits and pieces can really add some fun to the party. People would argue they are the best part! You pick what you want at the party and figure out what the human guests might enjoy. Whatever arrives becomes the fine details that can really make a pup’s birthday party pop.
- A Photo Booth: This is something for the puppy parents at the party. A photo booth allows you to get dressed up in silly wigs and take a fun photo. You could even get the dogs involved! This way, you’ll be sure to have the perfect picture for Instagram. How else are you supposed to showcase your party’s success? If not a photo booth, then a photoshoot space with props would be a great way to set up a photo that is too cute to resist.
- A Customized Chalkboard: A lovely little detail to showcase your dog’s birthday party, so everyone who comes can know exactly what to expect! You can draw on it with chalk, write cute messages, and have attendees add things as the party goes on.
- A Party Hat For Each Pup: Party hats would only be small party favors, but they would really add a million bucks to the mood of the party. Let’s face it, a pup wearing a birthday dog hat makes for one adorable image.
- A Happy Birthday Dog Banner: Plain and simple, get a big banner and make it known that today is the birthday of your four-legged best friend! You can even find banners that are specifically themed for dogs at local party stores.