When Lori Burns took her dog for a walk along Palisades Park in Santa Monica, she had no idea that the day would take a turn for the worst.
Lori describes how she was strolling along the park with her dog – Chance the Rapper – when she noticed him behaving strangely. “Out of nowhere, he just stopped. I looked down, and he collapsed,” Lori said about her dog. She explains how the dog collapsed onto the floor with his four legs. Chance the Rapper was looking up towards the sky and panting heavily.
Reacting fast, Lori rushed her dog to the VCA Animal Specialty and Emergency Center in West Los Angeles, where veterinarians told her that her dog had a fever of 106 degrees. Further tests revealed that the dog’s urine contained oxycodone, which the dog had accidentally ingested during the walk.
Lori Burns spent a fraught 24 hours worrying about her canine companion while veterinarians did everything they could to help Chance the Rapper. Luckily the dog’s life was saved, but unfortunately, he was permanently blinded by the toxic medication he had consumed. To make matters worse, the vet bill came to $4,000.
A local Veterinarian from the non-profit Project Street Vet said that if it wasn’t for the owner’s quick thinking, the dog may not have survived. Kwane Stewart stressed the importance of immediate care and said that pet owners tend to just Google the symptoms; by that point, it’s often too late to save them.
Toxicities are unfortunately common in pets. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned or has ingested something of concern and you cannot reach a clinic, then the ASPCA operates an animal poison control call center 24 hours a day where you can call for advice. The number you can call for advice is 888-426-4435