The Nebelung cat is a highly intelligent cat breed that is well-known for being playful, lively, and affectionate. Nebelung’s are mild-mannered and create strong bonds with their human families. They can be distant with strangers but are accepting of other animals and humans once they get to know them.
The Nebelung cat is easily recognizable due to its graceful, long neck, long limbs, and beautiful colors. While its coat is often misinterpreted as grey, it is actually a medium blue color down to the roots. One of its most unique physical characteristics, however, are the silver tips to its fur. Where these are present, they give its coat a silvery sheen that has earned it the name ‘creature of the mist.’ The silvery sheen is usually most noticeable on the head and shoulders.
To be considered a member of the Nebelung breed, a cat must have the following characteristics to meet The International Cat Association or TICA breed standards:
- A modified wedge-shaped head that is in proper proportion to the cat’s body. The head should be more pointed than rounded. The neck should be long and gracefully slender
- Slightly oval eyes widely spaced and of medium size. Green in color, although green/yellow mix is allowed
- Large pointed ears that are set so that they continue the head’s modified wedge shape
- Medium length muzzle with puffy whisker pads, nose pad should be charcoal grey in color
- A well proportioned torso with medium bone structure, long legs and well-rounded, medium-sized oval feet with generous tufting between toes
- The hair should be longer on the tail than on the body and the length of the tail should be in perfect balance with the body
- Medium-long hair over the body with a neck ruff that is more obvious in males. The coat should be soft and two-layered with a lustrous sheen and blue color. It is desirable that Nebelung cats have silver tipping, but this is not mandatory.
A young breed compared to some, the Nebelung has an interesting history and exhibits many characteristics that make it the ideal pet for families. It is often considered to exhibit many traits primarily found in dogs. In this article, we look at the Nebelung in more detail and consider its history, characteristics, and how best to care for this beautiful and playful breed.
History of the Nebelung Cat
The Nebelung breed originated from American and was founded by cats Siegfried (1984) and Brunhilde (1985). The owner of both cats, Cora Cobb, noted that the beautiful colors of the grey/blue cats were similar to those of the Russian Blue. However, she also noted that their coat differed in length from the Russian Blue, being semi-long. The owner approached the American Cat Association geneticist Dr. Pfleuger, to find out where it was possible to start a new breed with the two cats.
Dr. Pfleuger believed that the breed was best defined as a semi-longhaired Russian Blue. With the support of the geneticist, Cora determined the breeding standard along the same lines as the Russian Blue but with its coat length being the fundamental difference.
The breed name, Nebelung, comes from the German word for fog or mist ‘Nebel’ and the Russian word for heaven or sky ‘Nebo.’ However, there is a second possible origin for the name; that is was derived from Nibelungenlied, an epic German poem.
There are now breeders across the globe including America, Russia, Europe and Canada. The breed is recognized by the TICA, ACFA (American Cat Fanciers Association), WCF (World Cat Federation, and LOOF (Livre Officiel des Origines Felines)
Quick Facts About the Nebelung Cat
- The Nebelung breed is a highly intelligent cat breed. These cats are excellent communicators that can remind owners of issues. Their intelligence and playful behavior often lead to them being described as very dog-like in their personality and behavior.
- A Nebelung cat is very easy to leash train and when walked on a suitable harness will actually enjoy walking with their human
- The breed thrives on routine and may take time to adjust to any changes in their home life or a new home if they are rehomed
- A Nebelung kitten can cost anywhere from $600 to $1200 to buy.
- Nebelung cats have a hearty appetite
- The average life span of a Nebelung cat is 15 to 18 years.
- Nebelung cats are considered to be relatively low maintenance and suffer from few health complications. However, the two-layer coat needs to be combed through with a steel comb once a week to ensure that it does not mat.
Things You Should Know About the Nebelung Cat
Whenever you buy or adopt any pet, it is essential to find out everything you can about the breed. This helps to ensure that they are a good fit for your family and lifestyle. There is little point in getting a pet that needs a little exercise, for example, if you were looking for one to encourage you to get out and about. Learning as much as you can about a breed also helps you to provide the care and attention that they need. This, in turn, ensures a much happier and healthier life for them.
Nebelung cats are considered to be very healthy. They do not, as a breed, suffer from any specific ailments and are hardy cats. They do, however, have a healthy appetite, and left to their own devices their eating habits could cause problems.
The Nebelung breed of cats love their food, so it is vital to provide a complete and balanced diet and to keep a close eye on the amount and type of treats that you provide. Any cat that becomes at risk of obesity is also then at risk of a range of health complications; it is best to avoid this by maintaining a healthy approach to feeding from the very beginning,
Care and Grooming
Nebelung cats are intelligent and active animals that require exercise and stimulus. They love to play and can be walked on a leash with a properly fitting cat harness. Their coats require minimum brushing to keep their shine and health. However, you should groom them gently with a steel comb once a week. This ensures that their coat does not mat and is very important because of the double-layered nature of their coat.
Related Post: Brushes For Cats
The Nebelung breed creates a strong bond with its human family and is loving and affectionate. They can be wary of strangers and are very shy with new people and animals and in new situations. However, once settled, they are an excellent addition to a home with children and other pets. A Nebelung cat makes a loving companion. Still, kittens need to be given time and space to settle into new surroundings. These cats are known to love cuddling on laps and to follow their owners from room to room looking for their company.
The Bottom Line
The Nebelung breed is a relatively new breed of cat. They are perfect for families and homes with other pets. However, they are not cheap to buy and require stimulus, play, and exercise to keep them in good health. They are loving companions with long lifespans and hearty constitutions, making them the ideal pet for families as they grow up with your children.