Image Source: Flickr user Randy Son of Robert
This may comes as a surprise: products intended for pets can be harmful--especially when misused or carelessly stored.
When administering treatments prescribed by your vet, such as heartworm pills, antibiotics, or topical ointments, be careful to follow the instructions carefully and store the medicine out of your pet's reach.
To keep your pet safe from choking, avoid toys with small parts that can break off when chewed. Always supervise a dog with a rawhide bone, since pieces can break off and become lodged in her throat.
All in all, of course, the home is a safe place for pets. The best safeguard against household poisons and choking hazards is common sense. Your happy, healthy dog or cat (or both!) will be grateful for your precautions.
© 2007-2012 NBC Universal Inc. All rights reserved.
Part of the iVillage Home & Garden Network | The Petside Digital Network: Petside UK
Petside ® is a registered trademark of Procter & Gamble