Image Source: Flickr user shimelle
Any string-like item, including rubber bands, twine, and dental floss, has the potential to choke your pet or block his digestive tract - even for cats. Dr. Murray says that at the animal hospital, "We see a lot of pets around holidays - any holidays, Christmas, birthdays, graduations - who've swallowed yarn, ribbons, strings and twine tied around packages.
Cats love to swallow things that are stringy. But they can get caught in cats' intestines and can require emergency surgery or can tear their intestines." Keep stringy office supplies stored in drawers in tightly sealed containers. Dispose of used dental floss in lidded wastebaskets. And keep a close eye on your pets when you open gifts.
© 2007-2012 NBC Universal Inc. All rights reserved.
Part of the iVillage Home & Garden Network | The Petside Digital Network: Petside UK
Petside ® is a registered trademark of Procter & Gamble