Take Your Dog to Work Day 2012Published June 16, 2012
Take Your Dog to Work Day is this Friday June 22nd. The event, founded by Pet Sitters International, began in 1999 as a way to celebrate the bond between people and their dogs, and to promote pet adoptions. Not only has a study showed that taking your dog to work lowers stress, but there’s nothing like an office full of dogs to make the work day fly!
Are you planning on taking your pup with you on Friday? Before you do read our etiquette tips for bringing your dog to the office, consider a few of these helpful hints:
1. Take a longer-than-usual walk that morning. Giving Fido a power-walk will help to “take the edge off. ” The new environment, people and other dogs will likely rev Fido up, and you don’t want your dog to be the nuttiest visitor in the office.
2. Bring a familiar water bowl. Many dogs don’t like to drink communal water in a strange bowl.
3. Pack treats and a bone or “busy toy.” You can use the treats to reward your dog for good behavior, like pottying outside, and give him the bone or treat-stuffed toy when you need him to settle down quietly while you work. (Will anyone actually be working on Take Your Dog to Work Day?)
4. Bring a bed from home. Many dogs appreciate a familiar resting spot when in a novel environment.
5. Watch your dog for signs of stress. Although you might think it’s a blast to have Fido at work with you, he might get freaked out. If you dog looks nervous (frequent yawning and lip licking are less obvious signs of stress), take a walk and then give him a chance to settle down in a quieter area.
6. Take your dog out for frequent potty breaks. Again, novelty and excitement might make Fido have to relieve himself more often.
7. Have fun! Dogs at work, folks. It’s awesome!
Is your office going to participate in Take Your Dog to Work Day? If so, share photos of your hardworking pooch on our Facebook page!