Dog Receiving Rabies Vaccination: Getty Images
It's especially important to keep rabies prevention up to date if your dog is at all likely to encounter wildlife. Here are some tips and preventive measures to keep your animal safe.
- Keep rabies vaccinations up to date for all dogs, cats and ferrets in your home.
- Spay and neuter your pets to reduce their impulse to wander.
- Keep your pets indoors as much as possible and keep them under your control (in a secure fenced yard or on a leash) when outside.
- Call your local animal control officers or animal rescues to remove stray animals from your neighborhood.
- Train and socialize your dog to reduce the risk of him/her biting a person or other animal.
While rabies vaccination is very important, rabies is actually not one of the more common dog health problems. Preventive measures have greatly reduced the risk to pets and humans in the United States.
For more information on rabies, try checking out these stories: