Poison Prevention Week: How to Keep your Pet SafePublished March 21, 2012
Pet Poisons: People Food
Chocolate can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and an escalated heart rate. Xylitol, a sugar substitute can cause liver failure and seizures in dogs. Coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages are also not safe for pets.
Pet Poisons: Prescription and Over-the Counter Medications
Pets and human prescription medications can be a lethal combination. Drugs prescribed to treat human cardiac condition and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder conditions are dangerous for pets.
Since our furry companions, especially canines, can eagerly ingest a dropped pill, it’s vital for pet owners to keep all medications stored safely away from pets. It’s equally important to keep over-the-counter medications away from pets. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are highly toxic to both dogs and cats so if you observe your pet ingesting one of these drugs, call your veterinarian immediately or take your pet to a pet emergency hospital right away.
Pet Poisons: Household, Garden and Lawn Products, Insecticides and Automotive Products
Pets can find the darndest things to chew up and ingest. Ranging from cardboard boxes, to firewood, paint, soap plastic bags and more, many of these products may only cause a stomach ache, while others, if swallowed can prove lethal.
Plastic bags are a major cause of intestinal blockages. Often made of poultry manure, dried blood and bone meal, fertilizers can be highly enticing to a pet. Garden and lawn products are two dangerous items that get the ASPCA phone line ringing frequently.
Insecticide labels should be carefully read prior to their use on the lawn, in the house or on the pet. Never use flea or tick prevention products made for dogs on cats.
Automotive products such as antifreeze, windshield and brake fluids, oil and gasoline are highly toxic to dogs and cats. These products are extremely lethal if ingested. Please keep all automotive products stored safely out of your pet’s reach.
Pet Poisons: Veterinary Medications
While many pet owners find those delectable chewable tablets facilitate giving medications, since they are so delicious, pets can easily consume the whole bottle if given access. Keep all pet medications out of reach. If your pet consumes more than the prescribed dose, or ingests another pet's medication, contact your veterinarian.
Lilies are beautiful, but according to Cornell Veterinary College, all parts of the plant, even its pollen, are lethal to cats, causing kidney failure. The vibrantly colored Oleander is highly toxic to dogs and cats. Sago plants are high on the list of lethal plants. For an extensive list of plants poisonous to cats and dogs, visit Plants Poisonous to Pets.
Keep your veterinarian’s phone number in a prominent place. If an emergency arises having it handy can safe your pet’s life. The ASPCA has a 24 hour poison control hot line available for a fee at (888) 426-4435. Contact them if you cannot reach your vet or no local pet emergency clinic is available.
How do you keep your pets safe from toxic products? Share in a comment.