How Does DNA Testing Work: Breed Identification Process Overview
How does a dog DNA testing work? check out the basic method and commonly asked questions about dog DNA testing
- Wisdom Panel MX extracts DNA from blood samples drawn at your clinic, and analyzes it in 13 separate test reactions.
- The DNA is examined by mass spectrometry at more than 300 points where single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) are commonly found.
- The combination of SNPs in each tested dog's DNA is compared with breed-associated SNP patterns (breed signatures in Mars Veterinary's proprietary genetic database, assembled from DNA analyses of over 25,000 purebred dogs)
- Over 100,000 iterative comparisons are made with each tested dog's DNA using a complex statistical algorithm.
- The strength and frequency of matches are used to determine which breeds are detected.
- A detailed, customized report is then provided to veterinarians and owners within 2-3 weeks.