For most people Easter brings fond memories of egg hunts, baskets and bunnies. But be careful! These Easter staples can be dangerous to your pets' health.
But don't worry, you don't have to give up your favorite traditions to have a safe holiday. Watch out for these hazards, supervise your pets closely and try our substitution tips and everyone can have a Hoppy Easter!
The following seven holiday products are the most common Easter dangers:
Eggs - Dyed and Plastic
Shiny plastic eggs may look like toys to your pets. If they chew and swallow the plastic, it can cause intestinal problems that may require surgery. Fresh, hard boiled eggs are not dangerous, but eggs spoil quickly. If days later your pet finds and eats an egg that was undiscovered during the Easter hunt, it can make them very sick. Tip: Keep track of the number of eggs hidden and make sure all are accounted for at the end of the hunt.
Cats are especially attracted to these shiny shreds, and just like tinsel, ingesting this "grass" may be lethal. Pets can not digest it, leading to the threads getting stuck in and damaging their intestines. Tip: A better choice? Try using paper, or even real grass!
Most adults already know how dangerous chocolate is for pets, but it is important children know as well. Make sure to tell your kids that sharing with the family pet could make them very sick. Still, supervision is key. Tip: With chocolate bunnies in every basket, and chocolate eggs hidden around the house, it may be best if your pets are in kept in an "Easter free zone" during the festivities.
These flowers and beautiful and festive, but should be avoided at all costs if you share your home with pets. Easter lilies are one of the most poisonous plants for pets, especially to cats. Vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite are symptoms of lily poisoning. Cats who take a bite of the flower can die from kidney failure in less than two days if left untreated. Tip: Try faux lilies for the same look without the risk.
Chocolate isn't the only tasty treat dangerous for your pet. Too much sugar can also cause digestive upset. Additionally, the foil wrapping around candies can cause internal damage. The sharp pieces may tear your pet's esophagus or intestines. Tip: Be sure to keep a close eye on your pet and clean up all wrappings immediately.
Those teeny tiny baby chick toys and bendy bunnies may be good basket stuffers for your kids, but to your pets they look like a good snack. Small toys are a choking hazard and should be kept away from cats and dogs. Be sure baskets are kept off the ground, or that pets are kept in another room while baskets are being unwrapped. Tip: Make sure all toys and parts are too big for your pet to fit in their mouth.
Baby chicks, bunnies and ducks may seem like the perfect Easter basket addition, but think twice! Not only do these cute babies grow up into large, adult animals requiring full-time care, but they often carry Salmonella. This harmful bacteria can be transmitted to your children and other pets. Tip: Stuffed bunnies and chicks make a much better choice as Easter pets!